Specialty Unit Charge RN - LABOR & DELIVERY
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Job Summary:Functions as a Lead of the healthcare team,
coordinates departmental operations that ensure quality patient
care in a safe, healing environment that is patient and family
centered. Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for own
professional practice. Has appropriate clinical skills to be an
expert resource. Is available and supportive to employees and
understands priorities/needs of the department. Is a staff role
model for professional nursing practice. May recommend to
management in efficient resource allocation by assuring appropriate
patient assignments, staffing, and scheduling. Demonstrates
performance consistent with the strategic plan of the organization
and the KP nursing mission and values.Essential
Responsibilities:The Charge Registered Nurse demonstrates
proficiency by exhibiting the following skills, competencies, and
- Directs reviews, assigns and organizes the work of at least
three (3) or more employees, of which at least one (1) must be
another Registered Nurse.
- Applies the KP Nursing mission, vision, values and behaviors in
daily practice. Understands needs and sets priorities for the
- Provides professional leadership and direction of department
personnel in order to maintain efficient delivery of effective
- Coordinates departmental operations and delegates tasks
- Is an excellent staff role model for professional nursing
practice (e.g., RN/MD Collaborating for Outcomes, Just Culture,
Quality, Service, Safety). Supports and enhances the leadership
skills of the staff RNs, LVNs and UAs/CNAs (and other ancillary
staff as appropriate).
- Upholds compliance with Kaiser Permanente's Policies and
Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities, applicable state and
federal laws and regulations, and accreditation and licensure
- Upholds the standards of the California Nurse Practice Act,
American Nurses Association
- (ANA) Standards of Nursing Practice, and ANA Code of Ethics for
- Champions new ideas; Actively collaborates with others through
the change process.
- Acts as a resource, preceptor and mentor to new employees,
registry, students, and other team members in department specific
operations and patient care activities.
- Collaborates with or refers to manager/clinical nurse
specialist/educator any outstanding issues or concerns on the
- Demonstrates ability to identify and resolve problems in
collaboration with work team and with other departments.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements, policies,
procedures, and standards of practice.
- Participates in activities related to patient flow, including
admission and discharge processes.
- Facilitates inter-professional/interdisciplinary communication
and collaboration.Nursing Process:
- Serves as a resource for clinical concerns, scope of practice
and applicable state and federal regulations as well as operational
concerns of providers and staff.
- Possesses experience and skills to be a resource for providers,
RNs, LVNs, USs/CNAs, (and other ancillary staff as
- Demonstrates flexibility in work schedule to meet the
department demands of the day; facilitates and relieves staff
- Actively involved in assigning, orienting, and precepting and
coaching staff as needed.Documentation:
- Conducts audits and ensures that documentation reflects
thorough assessments, incorporates physical and psychosocial
findings, diagnostic tests, learning needs, barriers,
multidisciplinary education plans and age-appropriate care.Clinical
- Participates/leads various aspects of department operations,
staff competencies, department committees, Unit Based Teams (UBTs),
new projects, quality efforts, and educational programs.
- Demonstrates knowledge of patient's specific conditions
commonly seen in the department and care required.
- Interfaces with leadership, peers, physicians, other healthcare
providers, and support staff regarding performance, as
- Actively participates, champions and motivates other staff in
quality improvement in patient care, workflow, and improvement in
clinical initiatives and working conditions of the department.
- Provides input on employees performance evaluations through
daily observation and monitoring of performance.Workplace Safety:
- Adjusts staffing needs of the department to assure quality
patient care, patient and staff safety, efficiency, productivity
and working conditions of provider and staff.
- Actively models Labor-Management Partnership (LMP) Workplace
Safety principles and practices.Patient Care Experience/Customer
- Acts as a role model for staff regarding providing a patient
care experience that exceeds members expectations.
- Ensures timely and appropriate management of patients.
- Coordinates smooth transition for patients across the care
- Participates in daily leadership rounds, documents rounding
activities on unit rounding logs (as appropriate).
- Assures hourly rounds are conducted by staff.
- Where appropriate, assures hourly rounds are documented
according to unit/facility policy or guidelines.Team Commitment:
- Ensures support of the collaborative LMP environment through
unit-based teams (UBTs).
- Identifies and supports staff professional/clinical development
needs (i.e. certification, presentations, reward/recognition).
- Motivates staff to attain their fullest potential in improving
performance, attendance, access, service and quality outcomes.
- Lead/facilitate daily/shift multidisciplinary huddles.
- Assures huddle messages are consistently communicated.
- Confronts difficult or conflict situations constructively and
seeks appropriate assistance.Fiscal Responsibility:
- Participates in resource allocation (assignments, scheduling,
staffing, equipment/supplies management).
- Collaborates and assists with leadership, physicians, and peers
in staffing, workflow and throughput to promote quality patient
care, patient and staff safety, efficiency, productivity and
working conditions of providers and staff.Professional Development:
- Attends Charge Nurse Educational programs.
- Takes responsibility for professional growth and
- Minimum one year recent (within the last 3 years) full-time
equivalent experience in L & D, or successful completion of a KP
L&D course (which includes basic fetal monitoring and NRP) or
approved equivalent within prior 12 months.Education
- N/ALicense, Certification, Registration
- Registered Nurse License (California)
- Basic Life Support--
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses
Advanced Fetal Monitoring Certificate
- Neonatal Resusitation Program--Additional Requirements:
- May be expected to cross train to at least 1 other Perinatal
- Ability to scrub and circulate as required.--Notes:
- If twelve (12) hour option chosen, shift will be 7:00 pm-7:30
am, back up 8 hour shift will be 11:00 pm to 7:30 am.--Job
Schedule: Job Category: Nursing Licensed & Nurse Practitioners
Keywords: Kaiser, Fontana , Specialty Unit Charge RN - LABOR & DELIVERY, Healthcare , Fontana, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...